Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Badminton and the Bats

I used to play badminton
with my mom,
not killer badminton
as I later played
but
badminton with
high arching volleys.

We'd wait,
carry on a conversation,
talk about our day,
have a light snack
always looking up
searching the skies
while the birdie
drifted back from orbit.

Mom would laugh
sounding so full of life
that even the bats
swooping overhead
would join our game.

They'd tuck the birdie
under their tails
dart left right up down
drop it somewhere nearby
while we shrieked
and whooped
at this
three dimensional
extra terrestrial
display of hilarity.

To this day
I watch bats
with love bursting within my heart
for bringing
my mother and I closer
during the twilight
so long ago.

And when people
look at me
and mutter
(under their breath)
that other species
(of course)
don't have fun,
I can only pity them for
never volleying with
my Mom
and the badminton bats.